Monday 16 April 2012

Brighton Marathon: Reflections from the dark side of running 26.2 miles!

I've just completed my 3rd marathon. It was by far one of the hardest races I've ever run. I'm not really sure what went wrong. This blog is for my own benefit rather than anyone else, sometimes putting things down on paper make you see things more clearly. If you decide to read then forgive the ramblings of my mind.


I'm not a great runner, I'm an average middle/back of the pack kinda girl. I have pulled a few PBs since January, but mostly my running has been mediocre. I remember saying back in January, after I was ill, that if got to the start line, it was about finishing the race, not getting a good time.

Yesterday, I was well hydrated, well rested, well fuelled, well 'carbed'  up. I felt in great shape, I was excited about the race, however I felt I should have been more nervous, I kept saying to Steve that I didn't feel I had any respect for the marathon. I had looked at the route and to be honest, I didn't find it that inspiring. I've loved learning to run in the mud and hills and beautiful Surrey countryside, running up and down Brighton just didn't really feel very special to me. (NB: part of the marathon course runs up  by the power station and really it's not very beautiful, theres also lots of the course where the faster people are going in the other direction!!)

Anyway, to say I felt disconnected from the race would probably be right. It was a good start, I set off at the back of the pink pack and managed to catch up with the 4:30 pacer. I managed to stay with them even though they were running a sub 10 minute mile, which was faster than I had planned, but stuck with it anyway. At mile six, I had a nasty pain in my shin which continued for about another 2 miles. I started to feel anxious about it and tried to block it out. I was well hydrated and started to need the loo, but wanted to carry on drinking as though I didn't need too!!

Around mile 10, I was starting to feel tired, I was still with the 4:30 pace group. The pacer was great and very motivating. However, it just didn't feel right, I felt kind of depressed I think, I couldn't get my mind to stay focussed on the task in hand and thoughts kept drifting in, pains, toilet, fuel...

I hit half marathon at 2:11, which is slower than my PB but this was a marathon after all. The 4:30 group started to drift ahead, rather than push on and catch them I was slowing down. The route took a turn into Brighton, along some uninspiring streets, with lots of spectators calling people's names. The name on my top was RON HILL, haha, nobody called my name.

I felt miserable, the miles went slowly and seemed grey and boring. I really needed the loo, my legs were tired, my badder was bursting. I stopped at mile 18 and queued for the potra-loo! I normally smile at people needing the loo at races, but reality was I was bursting, and hoping if I did go I'd find my mo-jo again with a renewed sense of empty-bladderness!!

This wasn't the case, the running was hard, my legs hurt, the miles were slow, the thought I'd not make come in near my 4:36 marathon PB loomed in my mind. I'm not good at dealing with failure or disappointment. So I tried to draw on the visualisations of the race I had in my mind, only to find there weren't any. I'd not spent any time reflecting on aspects of the race before hand so had no visuals to draw on. This was one of the major fails of the day for me. My mind was struggling and was empty. My legs were tired.

I was eventually overtaken by the 4:45 pacer and decided at that point, there was no point even trying to pull it back to something I felt was respectable. I ran-walked the last 4/5 miles. (I have a place to run the VLM next week and decided I'd preserve my sanity and just get through the last few miles).

I finished the race in 4:56, my poor spectators had waited far longer for me than they thought, I had at least hoped to finish close to my Loch Ness time. There was no runners high, no real joy as I crossed the line, in my mind I had failed myself. I got my medal and goody bag and we left!

I'm not sure if anyone else has had races like this, it's one thing to not get into a 10k but to not relax into a marathon is so very, very hard, I'm not sure if it's connected to me dropping my second to last long run because of illness. I felt a terrific sense of failure then too, even though I ran 10 miles and I got a personal best!

Today, I feel a bit happier, nobody really understands how I feel, to most people a marathon is still a marathon they don't undertand the sense of disappointment I feel in myself for letting it beat me.

My boyfriend Steve, ran yesterday in 3:21, a fantastic time, I'm so proud of him!

I'm picking myself up, zipping up the man-suit (slowly and with aching quads) and looking forward to running London, in fancy dress, hopefully with my lovely boy Steve and meeting up with Mark a friend I've made via twitter. It will be fun, exciting, we will hopefully laugh (lots) and enjoy the sights and the crowds of London. I'm not setting any targets, to run one marathon is tough, to run two in a week will be tougher, but the second one already feels like it will be better than the first!

So, ramblings ended, my tips for running a marathon, yes, be fuelled, yes, be hydrated but also as important is the mental preparation you need to keep you going when it's tough!

Oh and I'm thinking of going back next year and doing it again 'properly'!

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you had such a disppointing race...It is funny though. I totally agree with you about the mental thing. I just did the Edinburgh half maraton with an ankle injury (I didn't think I would even get half way) but finish I did and despite the physical pain I felt all the way round it was one of my best events as I felt mentally strong and so proud of getting through it. Hope you have a brilliant time at the London marathon to make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a shame it wasn't what you wanted it to be. You looked fantastic when we saw you and both Shaun & I said you were hugging that pace maker's heels like your life depended on it. If it's any consolation I think there were a few people behind you at Mile 9 who were in a far worse place! Have a great London, look forward to seeing photos of the Wallys - and of course we will be playing where's Wally on the telly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does not sound fun at all. Really sorry to hear that. I had a race just like that once. Lisbon Half Marathon. Was completely up for it and it all came crashing down. It was the most depressing blog post that I'd ever written! Just write it off, In my experience, the next run is always better. Good luck for VLM.

    Just a note as I'm doing my first ever marathon in Sept in Berlin, what do you mean by this 'I'd not spent any time reflecting on aspects of the race before hand so had no visuals to draw on'. Is this something that works? How so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funnily enough I had a very similar run to this at the brighton half. I struggled to put into workds how I felt but when I was reading this I was nodding along saying yes yes! I felt well prepared, well trained, well rested all the same as you and went on to have my worst race ever. I think you were right not to chase a time and save your legs and stamina for VLM. Maybe you should put your name on your top too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry it wasn't what you hoped for Jo; hopefully blogging about it will help.

    If it is any consolation, I experienced something similar in a 10k race last year - hardly a comparison to the mental demands of a marathon I know. There was a trivial event just prior to the start that put me in an incredibly bad state of mind right through the race and ruined it for me. I was in a foul mood by the time I'd finished and bitterly disappointed with my time. Looking back it seems so trivial. I guess these things happen sometimes for little or no reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big quiet sympathetic hug from me... and if you're not much of a hugger, well, thank God for the Atlantic Ocean between us then, HA!

    The best part about any less-than-inspiring run (leisure outing, 5K, 10K, half or whole marathon) is that once it's over, you can always do another! Notice how "mojo" has your name in it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you did great Jo xx

    ReplyDelete