Tuesday 25 October 2011

How to return to running...

I've been injured. I twisted awkwardly whilst lifting a heavy box above my head at a funny angle, it's funny after running a marathon you kind of feel invincible, well clearly my back isn't and I've been on ibuprofen, ice and rest and endless cups of tea for the last 9 days. So yesterday after 2 whole days with out drugs I was desperate to get out and was starting to get cranky I decided I should test the water and go for a run.

The weather has changed, the light seems to have been dimmed and so I reluctantly decided it was a long trousers and high visibility top night. The problem with a short lay off from running is that all your kit is not readily at hand. I had to hunt for my luminous top and nearly called in a sniffer dog to find my garmin.  I wore my sketchers again (for previous readers of the blog this is only run 3/15).

I ran a short 2 miles, but I wanted to reassure myself that I could stillrun and that I wouldn't be in pain. I cannot explain how good it felt to run again after a short time off, I guess the fact I didn't really lose any fitness and that my legs have really benefited with the enforced rest contributed to a run in which I felt I was flying.

I ran again today in Brighton 5 miles in total, 2.5 miles up and 2.5 miles down. Stannmer Park was looking glorious in the low warm autumnal sun and I was rewarded with the usual stunning views across the Downs and into the trees.

So, it seems that my fears of not being a runner anymore were unfounded and now lie crumpled in the corner along with an empty ibuprofen box and a snickers wrapper. I know a few of my twitter friends have been injured or suffering from colds/bugs lately and my sympathies are with you, get well soon and get out there and train. xx

3 comments:

  1. I read once that you should rest 26 days after a marathon so I guess if this is true you should be OK! Glad to heat the injury is on the mend and happy getting back to it1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! If that's the effect a rest cure has, I may try one myself (though avoiding the injury if possible).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your on the mend and had a great run.

    ReplyDelete