Sunday 19 June 2011

I wont wear a helmet it makes me look stupid :Day 19

Feeling a bit sleepy and jaded this morning, I dragged myself up for a short 1 mile recovery run. Yes, I know, one mile isn't far but yesterday I did a half marathon and so felt that my poor legs needed a small reprieve today and so I dragged myself out for a mile. Back home and it was time to change into my layers ready to go and watch the London to Brighton Bike Ride. The guys were on a 7am start from Battersea Park so we envisaged they be passing Smallfield, which is near where I live, around 9ish.

I've never seen anything like the spectacle of 30,000 cyclists! It was quite an amazing sight! There were so many bikes and spotting Steve and his friends was a bit of a game, since everyone was flying past pretty fast and frankly they all looked similar!! However they arrive at about 9:30, looking good and greeting us with the news that Steve had had a fall with his new SPDs, frankly I'd rather not know about the disasters till afterwards, as I'll just worry! I do now know he's just made it up Ditchling Beacon which is a complete killer of a hill down on the South Downs, I am very proud!

There were apparently several accidents on the way, very common on the ride to do with minor errors or just the volume of cyclists I imagine. I was completely amazed at the number of people not wearing helmets. I'm also amazed that the British Heart Foundation don't enforce the use of helmets for such a big ride. I did the Diva 100k bike ride in May and it was a condition of taking part that you wore a helmet at all times. Being a psychologist, I am fully aware of the extensive damage a brain injury can cause. It was only last week that Juneathoner Vicky @disjointedtales came off her bike and suffered concussion, and she was wearing a helmet. It's also been well documented in the press and on TV the story of James Cracknell and his slow return to recovery after he was hit by a petrol tanker. If you're interested you can read (admitidly from the daily mail!!) the account of his story here .

So, please wear a helmet and be safe. Cycling is dangerous of course it is, cycling is great for your brain, but cycling without a helmet poses a far greater risk to your future health!
Rant over ;o)



Miles:1
Total:89.6
Exams this week:1
Total exams left:2

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the helmet issue (moving advert btw). I am very surprised that such a large event doesn't enforce it. Good luck with your final two exams!! I hope you have some celebrating planned for when you finish all of them. Can't believe you fitted in training for half marathon amongst studying that's VERY impressive!! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here Jo! I know people have the right to choose, but it horrifies me how many people opt not to wear one. You'll never see me without one again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree - I often see people riding on v busy roads without a helmet and just think - IDIOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never understand why parents think that their heads are stronger that their kids'? So many people have such strong feelings about not wearing a helmet - I'm definitely with you on this one.
    In Scouting all children and adults must wear helmets when cycling at Scouting events, even when going to and from evening meetings.

    ReplyDelete