Sunday 6 January 2013

Parklife: Parkrun

Yesterday, we made our first visit to Crawley's very own Tilgate  Parkrun. Unfortunately, I had hurt my back on Friday and wasn't feeling up to running, so Steve was running it on his own.

We arrived in good time, there's a car park that's free if you arrive before 9am, and were greeted by a nice chap wearing a fluorescent jacket who welcomed us and briefed us and a few other new 'Parkrunners' on the course. Then everyone progressed to the start line (a sign saying start!). The race director then gave everyone a welcome and then he literally said 'Ready, Steady, Go'! I don't know what I was expecting but it was decidedly low key after singing the national anthem on New Years Day at the Knacker Cracker!

My Parkrunner (so fast the picture blurred)

Then all I had to do was hang around (in the cold and mud) for 21 minutes and 15 seconds waiting for my Park Runner to cross the finish line. All in all it was a great success, Steve came in as 16th male and was pleased with his first 5k time! We were home and drinking coffee and eating the last of the christmas biscuits by 10!

We are going to factor in Park Running into our running plans for 2013. We've devised a financial incentive scheme. Every time you gain a finishing place or get a PB a £1 will go in a pot for a night out or treat! This is going to be a cheap deal for me, Steve is already at 16th and doesn't have far to go. On the other hand,  I've not run one yet, I'm not quick and am planning on 'starting slow' and getting quicker, in fact I could walk the first few weeks...well it makes sound financial sense ...doesn't it ;o)

Thanks to all at Tilgate Parkrun for the warm welcome, we'll be back. 

4 comments:

  1. You'll have Louise shouting at you that it's not a race but a run! You'll love it when you do run I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your back is better soon! WIll join you next time if you like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great setup bit of a shock to the system when you're used to turning up to races! Good luck with your parkrun journeys you'll probably beat me to your 10 tees x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes. Tilgate. The one with the mountain in the middle ;)

    ReplyDelete