Thursday 10 January 2013

Naked running, Pilates & Psychopaths


About 18 months ago I stopped running with music ringing in my ears. It was an easy transition to silent running and one that was almost unremarkable.  My favourite runs are in the woods, through mud and on trails- I always thought I'd look a bit of a wally in the hills listening to my ipod-not very hardcore. In fact, for safety reasons, if I did run through the woods whilst listening to some tunes, I'd always unhook my earphones...just in case there were any *axe murderers or chainsaw mad-men* hiding in the sleepy woodland.

I'm not sure if this could be scientifically proven, but, as a fairly musical individual, I always found myself connecting with the beat of the music as I ran, this influenced my pace to the extent that my speed was always dependent on the particular track that I was listening to. Not running with music has enabled me to run at a  more consistent pace, even if I have got progressively slower!

Tonight, I couldn't find the thingy I carry my phone in when I run, so looked in my basket of 'sundry sports gear' (the runners equivalent to the Michael McIntyre man drawer I think.) This useful basket contains items such as

  • over ear headphones
  • cycling gloves x2
  • puncture repair kit
  • lanacane any chaffing cream
  • Iphone arm strap thingy
  • one glove (there's always one)
  • an out of date gel
I shoved my phone in the iphone case strap arm thingy and decided to run with headphones and play a track! I used a 30 minute audio fuel track, it plays tracks at different beats per minute to encourage a quickening in pace and then a slowing down. I really enjoyed it, a change is as good as a rest they say. I wont be using music on every run I do, but when on a short 5 k that I need to get done quick, I think it could be a useful motivator!

But it's back to naked running for me- I enjoy gadget free running, it enables me to run at a good pace and clear my head!

After my run, my daughter and I did an hours Pilates DVD. I've had a dodgy back in the past and I'm determined to strengthen it up this year. Daughter is hypermobile and so a bit of Pilates will do us both good!

That's two Jantastic runs completed, I have my first park run to look forward to on Saturday and a long run followed by a roast on Sunday!

*Other psychopaths are available*


1 comment:

  1. I must admit I am addicted to my running music :) well done on the pilates, which DVD do you have? I am thinking of getting one, but there are so many, it is hard to decide!

    ReplyDelete