Monday 5 September 2011

Spitfire 20: PB= pretty brilliant!

Yesterday, I ran the Events to Live Spitfire 20 at Dunsfold Aerodrome.

The day started before the birds were up, a 5:30 alarm call and a quick shower and a scrumptious porridge breakfast. It was a good opportunity to practice my marathon morning mayhem. As I'm sure for many runners, this mainly involves feeling anxious, using the loo several times and packing, checking and repacking the essential race day kit. I've this regime down to a fine art after a good few years of running and could possibly win Olympic gold at pre-race kerfuffles.

Steve arrived and we set off to his parents house, they were our official taxi drivers and race supporters. We had briefed them on bringing a book, food and a chair because, as advised by bad wabbit Stephen, there isn't much to do at Dunsfold. The drive to Dunsfold was around winding country lanes and with very quiet roads meant we arrived at the Airfield just before 7:30.

As we drove in round the Top Gear track the weather looked grey and cloudy with a few spots of rain, but it was cool and for a 20 mile run that's exactly what you want to see. Most of my long training runs have been in the heat and so it was refreshing to have a bit of overcast weather!

More pre-race kerfuffling, involving a couple of trips to the pristine porta loos, a few tweets to Tim @jedirider who was running with Ian @runningokinuk and eventually being spotted by Tim and Ian after them asking Steve's dad to take a photo. It was nice to say hello to them and wish them luck before the race.

We eventually moved to the start and chatted to a chap who was training for a sub 3 hour marathon! The field of runners looked pretty hardcore, most people looked like veterans!!! I was nervous that I would be very very slow and be very very last. My marathon training pace on long runs had been a consistent 10:35, so  I was estimating a finish over 3 and a half hours.


The first 10 miles were great, but at the 10 mile point many runners finished and collected their 10 mile medal AND chocolate bar, I wanted to shout at their smug faces (OK and punch them) as they watched us weary 20 milers jog on past the finish, the punishing sight of 3 miles of track unfolding in front of us. It was a tough 10 miles, I made a friend at 17 miles which meant the last 5k was filled with running banter and chit chat and NO walking, we did slow down a bit but the torrential rain and tired legs meant the motivation to push on was gone! My new friend Lorraine and I crossed the line together and I think we were both glad we'd chatted and got each other through the last few miles.

My 5k time was 27 minutes, 10k was 56m, 10 mile 1:36. I was pretty ecstatic at beating my previous race times. However, I couldn't keep up the sub 10/min/mile pace  for the next 10 miles and finished in 231st place (hahaha) at 3:25:34 . This time predicts a 4:38 marathon, which I will be more than happy with.



I was very happy with my running, and very, very proud of Steve who has been injured and had 6 months off running at his usual pace, he ran the first 5k with me and still managed to pull a 2:53 20 miler out of the bag.

4 weeks to Loch Ness, I'm totally up for it and looking forward to a short 15 next weekend and a 21 the weekend after.

I am still on a real high from yesterday and can honestly say I'm feeling fab, will probably get the mother of all DOMS tomorrow though!!!




3 comments:

  1. great blog, and well done on your run!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great race report Jo, and great to meet you yesterday. Good luck with your upcoming races :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow well done Jo! xxx

    ReplyDelete