Monday 10 October 2011

Loch Ness Marathon- The race: 2.10.11

The rain lashed down as we crossed the start line. I'd kept my running jacket on and was glad of a little protection from the elements. I soon warmed up and managed to run the first mile in a speedy 9:11, this was way faster than I'd set my Garmin pace man 'Dave', I had estimated a 10:23 minute mile to get my over the line in under 4hours and 45.

The next five miles flew by and I was running under a ten minute mile. I felt great and was really starting to warm up, at this point I decided I definitely wanted to come back and run this marathon again. At the 5 mile mark there was quite a big hill, I'm quite a good hill climber, I might be slow but I do get the job done, I managed to pass a few people on the hill, I managed the next mile in 10:14.

I continued running well until I reached mile 12, it felt tough, I had a pain in my left calf and it was still 5 miles till I'd see Steve at mile 17. The views were stunning but the supporters were few, I had to muster up something from somewhere to keep me going. The next 5 miles were tough, I managed a varying degree of mile split times. I passed several locations that we'd visited in the week, this was good, I drew on the memories and replayed the visits in my mind.

Mile 16 arrived and I knew it was just a few moments till I would see Steve, I was very excited. He was waiting in the lay-by near our B&B. I literally threw my running jacket at him, I had so much to say, he jogged along side me for a bit and it gave me such a boost, the worst was yet to come...

We said goodbye, he had to drive back into Inverness to see me at the finish line, I assured him I'd be quite some time!! The pub at Dores was heaving with supporters and it was really rousing to be clapped and cheered on.

As the road ahead unfolded the sun was beginning to shine, it was getting hot! The road ahead began a slow ascent which would continue for about 2.5 miles. At one point everyone around me was walking, it was tough, I walked, I hated myself for walking, I like hills, I am good at hills, but at 18 miles on a steep hill, does anyone have enough left to give...?

The next few miles are a blur, I remember reaching for the proverbial man-up spray, talking myself along, coaxing myself onto the next mile marker. Psychologically this was the hardest bit, as a psychologist I knew at this point it was mind over body, my body was trained but was my mind tough enough.

I ran into Inverness, my body was tired, I could hear the finish line commentary, I dare not look across the river, I had to stay focused. I saw Steve moment sbefore the line and by some miracle I had managed to pull a 10:31 minute mile out of the bag and come across the finish line in a chip time of  4:37:13. I was handed my medal, I had done it. I walked up and saw Steve and burst into tears, it didn't last long, a few seconds and I felt all the emotion of the day that had pent up was released and it was all OK, I had finished and by the looks of my Garmin, in a time I was happy with.

On reflection, it was a great race, there were moments that were tough, moments I was unsure I could carry on running. I never doubted I'd finish it, I was just unsure I'd get a reasonable time. I am happy with my time now, with a few killer hills and lots of undulations, I think this was a challenging course. I'm going back next year to take revenge on that hill at Dores. Before then I have a few other races lined up including a marathon.

Thanks for reading my marathon journey, there is nothing quite like a marathon to test your body and mind, it's a bitter sweet event and I loved every moment. I'd like to thank my daughter for putting up with me during training; and my boyfriend Steve for running with me and pushing me to run longer and faster and challenging me to be the best runner that I can be. xx

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful and challenging race. Well done again on your fantastic acheivement.
    Glad to hear you will go back next year to murder that hill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Done - what a great time!! I've heard its a challenging course (and one I would love to do myself).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Up to Jo, who kept her Mojo :o) was a brilliant thing you did.....I couldn't have done it xxx well done you and thanks for sharing your story :o) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Jo, you are just fantastic x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Jo - what a fantastic achievement and a great read too. Well done

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on what sounds to have been a pretty tough marathon. So what if you had to do a little walking ... you finished, and in a time you're proud of, which makes it all worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. great blog! and again a great big well done :o) lets meet for that coffee soon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go! WOO HOO! I loved reading this. Ring-a-ding-ding! (ringing a cowbell for you along the route) Hooray for that strong finish & for tears of emotion at the end (I'm a crier when pent up, too)! So glad it was such a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete